Rhubarb Friands Recipe
Wednesday, 27 May 2020
After the popularity of our recent Rhubarb & Lemon Cake recipe, we thought we would share another favourite rhubarb recipe of ours. Friands are bite sized delights – small enough that they are guilt free (unless you eat 3 or of them at a time like us!!) So, if you are wondering what else you can do with your rhubarb, here is our Rhubarb Friands recipe…
Rhubarb friands are a bite-sized delight!
- 180 g unsalted butter
- 75 g plain flour
- 200 g icing sugar
- 125 g ground almonds
- 6 egg whites
- 2-3 rhubarb stalks cut into 1cm pieces
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Pop the chopped rhubarb on a baking tray and roast for 5 minutes while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Melt the butter.
- Use some of the butter to lightly grease the friand moulds or mini muffin tray.
- Let the butter cool slightly to use later in the recipe.
- Sift the flour and icing sugar into a large bowl and stir through the ground almonds.
- Place the egg whites into another large bowl and whisk until they are white and frothy.
- Gently mix the frothy egg whites into the flour mixture.
- Add the melted butter and stir everything together.
- Fill the friand pan until each mould is ⅔ full.
- Arrange 2-3 slices of rhubarb on top of each mould, pushing them lightly into the batter.
- Bake the friands in the oven for about 15-18 minutes, or until they are lightly golden and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let the friands cool in the pan for about 5 minutes before removing them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve the friands warm or cold with a dusting of icing sugar.
Blackberries make a delicious alternative to rhubarb later in the season. Hope you enjoy this rhubarb friands recipe.