Tuesday, 23 June 2020
Bug hotels are a wonderful additions to any garden. They can be made with lots of things you can find in your garden or on a walk round the woods. Not only are they a lot of fun to make, they provide a safe habitat for lots of beneficial insects to shelter in. You could attract all sorts of guests from ladybirds to lacewings, beetles to bees. Here’s how to make a bug hotel…
1. Find an old wooden box you don’t need anymore or make one using some old off-cuts of wood. This is your structure which you will fill with lots of lovely things. It can be whatever size or shape you wish.
2. Get some wood and drill different sized holes to attract bees.
3. Fill a tin can with some cut up pieces of bamboo cane.
4. Stack some broken pieces of terracotta pot or slates inside your box
5. Stuff pine cones, straw and moss into the spaces.
And there you have it, a 5 star hotel, suitable for the most glamorous of bug guests! Pop it into a quiet corner of the garden and you will soon be fully booked!